Sega re-releases Shenmue 1 & 2 on PC and consoles!

Artwork of the re-release of Shenmue I & II

Cult open-world adventure games adulated by a horde of nostalgic Dreamcast fans, Shenmue 1 & 2(1999-2001) are going to be re-issued by SEGA, bundled together on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.


For those who haven't known that golden era, the Shenmue games were some of the best action-adventure games you could find at that time, and they were ONLY on Dreamcast, the only true "next-gen" console in the late 90s.
Many people bought the console only to be able to play these gems. 

It's a long revenge story taking place across two decades.
The main character, Ryo Hazuki, is out to avenge his father’s murder, which will force him to leave his boring diligent student life into a world of deadly martial arts. 
You'll explore an open world with day/night cycles and realistic weather(at the time), and especially revolutionary at the time in a 3D game, a population of NPC who all have their own lives and schedules. 

Shenmue is one of the first games ever made to deliver a large real-time and functioning, living world. 

No wonder the creator was the prodigy Yu Suzuki, Sega superstar to whom we owe the classic Out Run, Space Harrier, Hang On, or the Virtua Fighter series!

Shenmue II - Ryo walks around in a Chinese street of Wan Chai, Hong Kong.
Shenmue II, which took place mainly in China. For some reason, I never liked it as much as the first one.
I'm skeptical about their success though, as the gameplay has aged a bit.
I think that the graphics are perfectly enjoyable as they are and anyway, late 90s blocky 3D graphics always had lots of charm, in my opinion.  
The problems come more from the countless QTE (quick time events), and clunky controls.
The narration is still okay, although it was considered way ahead of its time back then.
I just hope it won't lower people's expectations of a third installment.

Still though, I have to say I'm IMMENSELY pleased to see a certain number of Dreamcast games being re-released on PC since a few years. (like Grandia 2!)


Ryo asking where he can find a shop where sailors usually go.
All I know is that Popeye is a lonely sailor. No wonder he has such big forearms...

Until now, it was difficult, if not impossible, to replay legally Shenmue in good conditions.
Emulation isn't that bad but frankly, it never convinced me.
I haven't tried it the latest emulators updates but I got tired of flickering textures, huge slowdowns, etc.
What's the best Dreamcast emulator at the moment? Reicast? Demul?
Last time I tried them, I couldn't even launch the game.
No HD textures or anything remotely close to a remaster, apparently.

But this reissue benefits from some serious improvements: user interface overhaul, HD 16/9 resolutions support,  choice between modern or classic control schemes, possibility to switch between Japanese and English dubs...

REQUEST: Please release it on GOG!🤗

Gee, I forgot it looked that good. Maybe my CRT screen back then was butchering those nice textures! (and no, it's not sarcasm. Remember this was in 1999-2001!)
Wikipedia: "The original Shenmue was the most expensive video game ever developed at the time, with an estimated production and marketing cost of US$47 to $70 million, though some of the development also covered Shenmue II."

I wonder if this isn't part of what caused Sega's demise shortly after Shenmue II release.
(The Dreamcast was Sega's last console, whose production halted in 2001. The funny part is that hardcore fans have been making great games(especially shmups) this whole time, like The Ghost Blade, released in 2015! You can get it on Amazon!) 

Too bad it's possible we'll never see a Sega console ever again.
Even if it wouldn't be economically viable on the long term, I still dream of Sega making a 2D-only console, a la SNK's Neo-Geo, like in the 90s. 
Beat-em up, sports, rpgs, you name it!
And NOT using damn CDs, or anything remotely similar that makes noise and isn't solid like a good old Megadrive cartridge! 😝
my old Megadrive from 1991 still work perfectly. My Saturn doesn't.)


ABOUT SHENMUE III

I know that Shenmue III is in the works but I have difficulties to believe in it.
I'm a fan of Shenmue since the first game and I saw SO many "demos"(remember Shenmue Online?) since almost 20 years now, that I just don't trust any promises about a potential Shenmue III anymore now.
Anyway, it's on Kickstarter for now, already managed to collect millions of $$$, so I assume that this time is more serious than ever.




Well, in the case it gets cancelled, you can always play the GTA-like Sleeping Dogs for now!
Lots of street fights, lots of npc interaction, mini-games, all wrapped in a strong narrative adventure, this is the closest to Shenmue you can get on PC!!  
Other than that, how about Yakuza 0?

No comments