Terraria Otherworld gets cancelled!



It is with bitter disappointment that I have to announce you that Terraria: Otherworld has been cancelled by the developer Re-Logic. 
Terraria might be my #1 favorite indie game ever, so I really expected a lot from this one.
On the other hand, it's not so surprising, when you see the chaotic development since the last 3 years.

The game looked great though, and was supposed to be more adventure or even rpg-oriented than the original crafting/platforming sandbox formula successfully used in Terraria. 




Unfortunately, Re-Logic considers that this project takes way too much time and money to accomplish.
Also, I'm glad that they regret outsourcing the project (twas definitely a bad idea), and they intend to focus on their own people in the future.
Makes sense to me.
You don't entrust your best franchise to outsiders!
Imagine if George Lucas let somebody else make Star Wars movies! ha ha! ......

Anyway, the "good" news is that Re-logic retains ownership of everything which has been created for the Otherworld project, source code, art assets, etc, and that all of these likely be used in future games.
Personally, I really liked what they did with the artstyle and I think it would be a waste to throw it away.

Not necessarily as cute as the first Terraria, but more atmospheric if you ask me, and I even prefer it to Starbound!

On a side note, I can't believe that the original Terraria is still in development.
They're working on v1.3.6 now, and make it sound like something big is in the works...
I think they've done everything they could do with it though, and I'd prefer if they finally focused on a true sequel.

No comments