Eat corpses, sell limbs, bury people alive... The everyday's life of a medieval Graveyard Keeper!


The creators of Punch Club, Lazy Bear Games, make a U-turn and let us be a cemetary manager in the upcoming - historically inaccurate - "Graveyard Keeper"!
My first question is "wait, why in medieval times AGAIN?"
Yeah, why not in the 80s instead? Oh well, you know... Everything's was cooler in the 80s, even partying with friends in graveyards. Oh well, maybe that's just me.


Let's enjoy the sinister gameplay trailer together, shall we?


Here's the story:
Everybody died in Stardew Valley, because of a horrible flesh-eating bacteria which spread in the entire town.
Now your job is to bury everybody(or what's left of them), and get rid of bodies of people who didn't have enough money to afford a proper burial.
Yep, this is the unofficial messed up sequel to Stardew Valley!
Aaaw alright alright, I made it up! Stop crying!😅

 
"If only people knew what kind of "organic fertilizers" I used underneath these carrots!"


The first thing that came to my mind was... "is that REALLY pixel art?"😲
Gee, I keep saying this lately, but I think this might be the best pixel art I've ever seen.
Damn these Russians are good!
Just a detail, but I think the fog effect(in the trailer) is a bit exaggerated. 😝
*developer slaps her* "Will you stop complaining? Ugh! Every time!!" 
Sorry, can't stop whining!😅

The second thing is I said in my mind was... "YES! A tech tree!" 
Or whatever it's called in this game. lol
I always found tech trees one of the most addiction-inducing additions to any game genre, really.
I can already imagine some of the techs involve some better techniques to dispose of bodies? 
On the other hand, this is also why I was only half-kidding about the game taking place in modern times... The player would have access to more techniques, so it could be even "funnier". Anyway, we'll see!

Bring out your dead!

Speaking of having "fun"...
If I understand correctly, apparently, we'll be able to EAT some of the bodies?
Or at least feed them to people...?
Quote: "Do you really want to spend money on that proper hotdog meat for the festival when you have so many resources lying around?"😳
Gee, I hope this game won't be banned... I'm not sure I ever saw cannibalism allowed in games... Oh wait, we eat poop in Ark, it's not much better. 😅
(and the recent PixARK, which I will definitely review when it's out of early access!) 
Additionally, we'll also be able to sell body parts and blood, burn innocent women, or poison villagers to improve your business...
Just add necrophilia (do not watch Visitor Q) to this charming picture and it'll be complete.


"Come on, just because I buried my wife alive, now she's so angry she follows me everywhere! It's not my fault!"
And as a final note...
The game seems quite deep, with a rather large world to explore and involve also crafting and farming...
But... I hope we won't be overwhelmed with all of that micro-management.
This developer is quite ambitious, and I know from experience it's always a bit risk to be a jack-of-all-trades, even in games.
And also, I hope we don't feel too much "disconnection" from the funny parts about the burials, and the tedious chores of cropping and harvesting and stuff...

What I mean is...
Remember Theme Hospital? Seems like a weird comparison, but this game makes me think of it. 
There was neither crafting nor farming in Theme Hospital.
And yet it's one of the greatest management games of all-time. 
And I think it's because every little decision we made in the game was "connected" to the funny theme, and had consequences on it.

In Graveyard Keeper, if you have to farm only to sustain yourself, it could end up feeling like an obligatory chore. See what I mean?
Nowadays, it feels like crafting and farming are mandatory in every game, really.
Sorry, just more whining from an aging player! 😥

Still, I'm feeling quite positive about this! 😊👍

Sorry, buddy, you should have registered to our prepaid funeral plan! "What the! I'm still alive! heeeelp!!"

Coming to PC & Xbox One in 2018. No concrete dates are announced yet.

No comments